Tortilla soup is a classic Mexican-style dish that is both healthy and delicious. It's a perfect meal for busy days because it can easily be made in a slow cooker. It’s also a great addition to summer picnics or potlucks.
The recipe is easily customizable and adaptable to suit your own tastes and dietary needs. You can make it entirely plant-based and adjust the spice level to your comfort.
The recipe also includes a variety of vegetables, such as jalapeño, onion, red and yellow bell peppers, garlic, corn and tomatoes. These ingredients provide a range of vitamins and minerals that are essential for a healthy diet.
For some ingredients, such as the taco seasoning and enchilada sauce, I use my own homemade version.
For the tortilla strips, you can use store bought chips or make your own by baking corn tortillas in the oven or air fryer. This is a healthier option than frying them in oil and allows you to control the amount of sodium.
This tortilla soup recipe is healthy, delicious and can be enjoyed by everyone. It's easy to make, customizable and perfect for those days when you’re pressed for time.
Try this recipe and enjoy a bowl of warm and comforting tortilla soup.
- 3 tablespoons plant-based butter
- 1 jalapeño, diced and seeded
- 1 sweet/yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 bag Morningstar Farms® Veggie Grillers® Crumbles™ or your favorite meatless crumbles/chorizo
- 4 cups vegetable or vegetarian beef/chicken broth
- 14 ounces red enchilada sauce
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro, for soup
- 15 ounces canned pinto beans
- 15 ounces canned black beans
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn or 15 ounces canned and drained
- 15 ounces canned fire-roasted or diced tomatoes
- 4 ounces canned chopped green chiles (to preference)
Tortilla Strip Ingredients
- 7 corn tortillas
- salt to taste
- oil to taste
- Freshly chopped cilantro, for garnish
- Sour cream or vegan alternative
- Shredded Monterey jack/cheddar cheese or vegan alternative
- Sliced avocado
- Lime wedges
- Sliced jalapeños
- Melt butter in a sauté pan over medium heat. Season bell peppers, onion, jalapeño and garlic with 1 teaspoon of salt and sauté until tender.
- Add meatless crumbles, cumin, chili powder, oregano, taco seasoning and black pepper to saucepan. Cook for 3–4 minutes, or until crumbles are no longer frozen — if previously frozen.
- Add saucepan ingredients to the slow cooker.
- Add broth, enchilada sauce, cilantro, bay leaf, corn, beans, tomatoes, green chiles and remaining 1 teaspoon salt to the slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 3–5 hours.
Tortilla Strip Instructions
- Cut tortillas into 1/4-inch strips.
- Brush both sides with oil.
- Spread on a baking sheet in the oven for about 10–15 minutes, flipping halfway through or place in the air fryer for 7 minutes, shaking halfway through.
- Transfer to a plate and season with salt to your preference.
Serve in a bowl topped with the tortilla strips and your choice of garnishes. Enjoy!