If you're in the mood for something healthy, filling and delicious, look no further than this one-dish meal. It combines nutty, chewy farro with lentils and tender roasted vegetables, all tossed with a savory glaze. Enjoy this hearty meal warm or at room temperature.
- 1 cup farro
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup lentils
- 3 cups water
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups Brussels sprouts, sliced in half
- 1 medium onion, sliced into strips
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin, optional
- 1/2 tsp sweet paprika, optional
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon miso paste
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, optional
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large saucepan, combine farro with vegetable broth. Boil farro until tender, 30–40 minutes. Add water if needed. Drain farro well and let cool slightly.
- In a separate saucepan, combine lentils and 3 cups water. Boil lentils until tender, but not soft. Once finished, drain the lentils and combine with the farro.
- While the farro and lentils cook, peel and cube the sweet potato, and chop the Brussels sprouts into halves. Toss them together with the olive oil, and season to taste. We used salt, cumin and paprika.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes or until the veggies are tender and can easily be pierced with a fork.
- Meanwhile, peel and slice the onion into thin strips and sauté in olive oil until golden brown.
- While the onions sauté, make the savory glaze reduction sauce by whisking together 1/4 cup water, soy sauce and miso paste.
- When the onions are golden brown, carefully pour the mix onto the onions. Simmer until liquid has reduced by half.
- When the farro, lentils and veggies are cooked, lightly toss everything together.
- Dish it up in a beautiful bowl and garnish with cilantro, if desired.
What is farro?
Farro is a nutty and pleasingly-chewy grain. Farro is high in fiber, so it not only tastes great, it's good for you too. Farro is a wheat, so it is not gluten-free.
This meal-in-a-bowl is extra delicious with crumbled feta cheese on top or a drizzle of dill and yogurt dressing.