Fresh Figs With Goat Cheese and Pistachios
For many, fall is a favorite time of the year to be in the kitchen. It's the season for soups and stews to warm us during the oncoming chill. It's also a time for friends and family to gather and bring joy to the shorter, darker days.
This simple recipe highlights the flavors of fresh figs by serving them with tangy goat cheese, salty pistachios, sweet honey and balsamic vinegar, to add an extra burst of flavor. It's easy to make and can be a quick snack for either one person or for a party of 20.
- fresh black or brown figs
- goat cheese
- crushed, salted pistachios
- balsamic vinegar
- honey (optional)
- fresh berries (optional)
- salt to taste
- Trim stems off figs and slice the figs in half lengthwise.
- Arrange the figs on a serving tray.
- Sprinkle crumbled goat cheese over the figs.
- Drizzle balsamic vinegar and honey over the figs and goat cheese.
- Sprinkle with pistachios and fresh berries.
- Lightly sprinkle with salt if desired.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
If you follow a plant-based diet, you can leave off the goat cheese or make this alternative creamy nut spread. This recipe doesn’t take much effort and is so tasty, robust and rich in flavor. To make, blend the following ingredients:
- 1/4 cup raw rehydrated macadamia nuts*
- 1/2 cup raw rehydrated cashews*
- 2 tbsp filtered water
- 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- Pinch of sea salt, to taste
- Optional: 1/2 tsp miso
*To rehydrate nuts, soak in water overnight. If you'd like to speed the process up, cover nuts with water in a pot and bring to a boil for a few minutes. Simmer for another 15 minutes until tender. Rinse with cold water, drain, and you are ready to go!