Ice Tie-Dye - Just for Kids
Ever heard the phrase “good clean fun"? It's summertime and there are lots of fun things you can do outdoors that aren't always neat and tidy.
Here's a fun summer activity that isn't necessarily clean! You're going to love it! Seriously, creating your own custom tie-dye shirt is a lot of fun! There are so many different color combinations to choose from and all kinds of ways to fold a shirt to create unique patterns.
Here are instructions on how to create your specialized shirt. Before you begin, be sure to check with a grown-up!
- A grown-up's permission
- A white cotton t-shirt
- Dye powders (check your local craft store)
- A big plastic bin
- A cooling rack
- Ask a grown-up before you begin!
- Wash the shirt without using fabric softener and leave it damp. Do not dry the shirt.
- Set up the cooling rack inside the plastic bin.
- Crumple the damp shirt and place it on the cooling rack.
- Cover the shirt with ice.
- Sprinkle dye powder over the ice.
- Let sit for 24 to 48 hours.
- Rinse the shirt until water runs clear.
- Wash the shirt by itself to remove any left over dye.
- Dry as usual and enjoy your ice tie-dyed shirt!
Did you know you can tie-dye any piece of light-colored cloth? Yep! You can make your own crazy socks, festive cloth napkins or a personalized beach towel!