Northwest Adventist Churches Collect Fire Relief Offering
In the wake of the fires that exploded onto the Northwest landscape, forcing thousands from their homes and scorching hundreds of structures, the Seventh-day Adventist Church in the region announced it will collect a special relief offering Sept. 19 and 26.
Donations received will enable Adventist Community Services Distaster Response volunteers to take action in the wake of these devastating fires. Financial gifts will provide immediate relief to survivors and assist with long-term recovery efforts. Those wishing to donate may do so online or at their local Adventist church.
The deadly fires have forced thousands from their homes and scorched hundreds of structures. While fire officials see reasons for optimism, they said recovery will take patience and leveraging resources.
Fire Resources and Information
These online tools offer up-to-the-minute emergency information on wildfires, evacuations and air quality in the Pacific Northwest:
- The EPA’s Air Quality Index offers hourly updates of local air quality readings.
- BlueSky Canada has an interactive map of wildfire smoke forecasts across the Pacific Northwest.
- Northwest fires and evacuations: Oregon’s RAPTOR Map shows wildfires across the U.S. West and evacuation zones within the state.
- Major Oregon and Washington fires: The Northwest Interagency Coordination Center shares this map of major fires in the Pacific Northwest.
- Here are some practical tips — including a packing list — on how to prepare for a wildfire evacuation.
- PublicAlerts.org provides links to sign up for emergency phone and email alerts across the Portland-Vancouver metro area.
- Adventist Health Portland offers information how to evaluate and address smoke symptoms.
- Outside the greater Portland metro area, alerts are handled by local governments. Search “Emergency Alerts” and your county’s name to find a link.